Contract: Environmental Health and Safety Specialist / USAClick here to shortlist this job 1-CLICK Apply With Employer or Register Now
|Location:||Waukegan, Illinois, USA|
Responsible for the development, implementation, and maintenance of EHS programs to ensure regulatory and internal compliance, reduce risk and minimize liability for the companies water compliance program.
- Provide technical and compliance support to the onsite biological wastewater treatment plant.
- Write and submit wastewater and NPDES reports and permit applications to Illinois EPA and local POTW.
- Assist with response to incidents, lead incident investigations and support organization in identifying and implementing corrective and preventative actions. Communicate lessons learnt across the organization.
- Conduct routine inspections, create corrective action plans and facilitate completion with business owner.
- Track and trend EHS metrics and develop solutions and strategies that drive continuous improvement at the local and enterprise level. With specific emphasis on review of daily data from biological Wastewater Treatment Plant and supporting laboratory operations
- Update EHS training to ensure relevant regulations and business changes are incorporated. Provide EHS training and update EHS guidelines, operating procedures and checklists.
- Plan and implement major projects for enterprise wide and localized organization and track to successful completion.
- Conduct annual program reviews and assessments and update regulatory documentation such as spill response plan.
- Communicate compliance status, key performance indicators, trends and priority issues and business impact to key stakeholders and peers.
- Participate on cross functional teams to represent EHS objectives and meet the team's overall objectives and deliverables.
- Ability to interact and communicate with multiple levels in the organization and external regulators or auditors.
- Ideally Bachelor's degree (EHS related, engineering) plus 5+ years of EHS related experience or Master's Degree (EHS related, engineering) plus 3 years of EHS related experience. EHS or Engineering professional certification is preferred, but not required.
- Work experience in implementing EHS regulations, developing programs, conducting incident investigations, interacting with regulatory agencies and external organizations and managing cross functional teams
- Ability to establish measurable project goals and implementation plans, balance conflicting work demands, and develop action plans including the identification of resource requirements
- Ability to develop standards and /or policies that meet business objectives
- Ability to actively listen, build and maintain effective working relationships with internal/ external colleagues and stakeholders, and resolve conflict constructively
- Ability to successfully manage project and programs.
Additional Background information
Familiarity with biological wastewater treatment system, pretreatment regulations and NPDES program